24 December 2009

The Significance of Berith Road

When I was a young boy, I lived in Carolyn Street, South Wentworthville, which is a suburb of Sydney. The area has now been classified as Greystanes. Carolyn Street lies off Berith Road.


View Larger Map

Before the M4 motorway was built, Berith Road was quite busy. After the M4 chopped it in two, its character changed completely. It's a shadow of its former self, which is good if you like your peace and quiet.

Little did I know, when I was a young fellow, the meaning of the word berith. It was only until I studied a bit of Hebrew at university that I finally realized that berith is the English transliteration of the Hebrew word ברית, which means covenant.

So Berith Road actually means Covenant Road. Given the childhood memories associated with Berith Road, given the importance of the concept of covenant as a key to understanding the Scriptures, and given that the word and concept of berith is a almost a daily acquaintance of mine as a teacher of Hebrew and the Old Testament, berithroad.com sounded to me like a good domain name.

As a little boy, I didn't understand the deeper significance of Berith Road; but now I do. I hope that you will grow in your understanding of Berith Road too! See www.berithroad.com/index.html if you're interested.

No comments: